Storing Your Mattress Is Easy With Lockaway Storage
If you are moving, buying a new home or setting off on your own for the first time, there are plenty of reasons to be excited! There are also plenty of things to keep track of and this can prove to be a stressful time as well. You hit the reset button on your home, learn the lay of the land and most likely, settle in at a new job or school. Figuring out what to do with your belongings in the interim does not need to be one of the hassles during this exciting and challenging time.
While downsizing can be helpful (on average, 690,000 people buy an item at a garage sale each week) buying a new set of bedroom furniture each time a move occurs is not an option for most people. In fact, 33% of renters move every year and the average amount an individual moves in a lifetime is eleven! One of the best options for individuals and families alike is to store their large items like mattresses while getting settled.
Putting a mattress and bed frame in storage is a great option for clearing out space as opposed to a basement or attic, where a mattress will likely run the risk of becoming damp and growing mildew. Whether you are repurposing a bedroom into a home office or gym, or simply trying to remove clutter and free up space, be sure to take note of these simple steps and your bed will be good to go while in storage, no matter how long it needs to be stored.
- After taking apart the bed frame, put all screws/nuts/bolts in a plastic bag and tape the bag securely to the frame or headboard to ensure they won’t be lost.
- Invest in a light, breathable cover to protect the mattress from dust.
- If you have a box spring and coil mattress, you will need to store it flat as opposed to on its side. Keeping a coil mattress on its side for months on end can cause the coils to shift, damaging the mattress.
- Make sure that nothing heavy is placed on the flat mattress in storage, if it will be stored for a prolonged period of time, to avoid damage. It is best to place a mattress on top of other large items so it can lay as flat as possible without anything heavy sitting on top of it.
- When the time to comes to take your mattress out of storage and begin using it again, sprinkle some baking soda on it to freshen it up and then run a vacuum over it.
- If storing a mattress properly is not possible, consider picking up a foam mattress and shipping it directly to your new location in a box.
At Lockaway Storage, you will have a clean, safe, and easy-to-access facility to store your mattress and any other belongings. With many locations across the San Antonio metro area, you are sure to find a location close by with a friendly staff ready to help you with any storage needs or questions you may have. Find the most convenient Lockaway Storage location for you in and around San Antonio!